Saturday, August 20, 2011

Introduction, Spacing after periods

Hello, my name is Kevin. I am currently a 1L (in law school parlance) at UC Hastings in San Francisco. I've decided to start a blog primarily just to provide a source of writing practice for myself. If something interesting, intellectually stimulating, or simply amusing comes from this, so be it. I will be covering things that I have some sort of vested interest: law, law school, politics, economics, indie rock, travel, and sports.

As I type, I am confronted with the desire to use one or two spaces after the end of sentences. I've read recently in Slate (http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/), that the common style now is the single space. I am now trying to use one space, but after years of typing classes ramming it into my head to use two spaces, it is incredibly difficult to do. I am glad they have moved toward the single space because I always hated to use two spaces, especially because of the clunky way it would make abbreviations look, such as Mr. I have yet to learn what the preference for the legal profession is, but I'm sure it will serve to confuse me.  After flipping through my legal citations guide, I noticed a few double spaces. Am I ready for the confusion?  I sure hope so.  Are there any grammar or style freaks who love to feel superior? You have a great resource here and I will actually commend you for corrections.

A few upcoming topics I would like to touch include: Steven Colbert's Super Pac and the Citizens United decision, the Republican presidential primaries, how technology allow us to cater media to smaller groups, the San Diego Chargers season, and my first impressions of law school.

No comments:

Post a Comment