Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bike to School Day

Today is the first day I rode my bicycle to school. Initially, I have been nervous about riding in San Francisco because of the hills. The Bike Coalition provides a great resource to map out ideal routes to take while cycling.  Unfortunately, it requires you to remember a lot of of left and right turns to stay on a less steep path. The way to school was great, mostly downhill, and only about 30 minutes. That is a full 15 minutes faster than my bus trip.  The way back home was more difficult. I chose to follow this route known as "The Wiggle."  The Wiggle zig zags it's way up the hills from near the Castro up toward the Panhandle. The path was amazingly flat feeling.  I made a wrong turn up a steep hill, a turn I hope I don't repeat.

Another enjoyable aspect of the day, was watching cyclists interactions with the car driving public. There are enough cyclists, that they feel empowered to yell at people for texting, or running red lights. I observed both of these events today. I saved $4, and probably burned off half of lunch. I think I'll strive to ride 2-3 days a week, but with the time to get to school, it may have to be at least TO school, everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment